If you were a little too indulgent over the holidays, and now you’re feeling anxious that you’re not meeting your healthy New Year’s resolutions, we have just the thing to help you detox the chemicals.
You can get back on track simply by adding a few things to your diet. The key is to make sure you’re choosing certified organic foods.
There are hundreds of reasons to choose organic over conventional, which we’ve covered in our blogs here.
One is the impact of eating organic on our health. Studies link eating organic to a variety of health benefits, which is especially important during a pandemic. Switching to an organic diet decreased levels of cancer-causing glyphosate – the main ingredient in Bayer-Monsanto’s pesticide Roundup – by 70 percent in participants’ bodies in just one week, according to a study by Friends of the Earth.
Consider adding these top 5 detoxing foods into your spring diet.
- Lemons, specifically lemon peels, contain an antioxidant called d-limonene, which has been shown to activate liver enzymes. These processes take toxic compounds present in the liver and convert them to harmless or less harmful versions. Warm lemon water in the morning helps your body detox and keeps your bowels regular.
- Dandelions are excellent for detoxing, and you can find them year-round in dandelion tea. The polyphenols found in the flowers detoxify the bloodstream and help to increase metabolic rate, solving issues of fatigue, sluggishness, and acne associated with a slow metabolism. Find out here why organic tea is a must.
- Cilantro is an excellent addition anytime you’re looking to detox. Cilantro leaves have potent anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antifungal, antimicrobial, and significant chelating properties, removing harmful heavy metals from the body. You can boost cilantro’s effects by making your smoothie with chlorella, a type of single-celled green algae available as a supplement. Doing this “can naturally remove an average of 87% of lead, 91% of mercury, and 74% of aluminum from the body within 45 days,” according to several studies.
- Leafy greens. A diet rich in leafy greens can offer numerous health benefits, including reduced risk of obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, and mental decline. They also provide a lot of fiber, which keeps your body naturally detoxing regularly. Learn to grow your own greens indoors using this guide.
- Celery. Celery is great as a snack or juice. Celery juice is low in sugar, packed with potassium and vitamins A, C, and K – it reduces inflammation, boosts hydration, and helps your body detox naturally.
As with all recommendations from Only Organic, we strongly suggest running any dietary changes by a certified nutritionist, doctor, or dietician.