People gather around the table to enjoy holiday favorites during the holiday season. Here are five reasons to choose certified organic food during the season.
- Organic dairy products are better for you!
Americans use more dairy products during the holiday season than at any other time. Here at Only Organic, we’d like to remind you what you’re paying for when you purchase organic dairy.
- Organic dairy animals must be pasture-grazed throughout the grazing season.
- All of the supplemental feed organic dairy animals consume must be organic, with no persistent pesticides.
- Organic dairy animals are raised without antibiotics or endocrine-disrupting chemicals such as hormones and steroids.
- Organic dairy products have higher amounts of omega-3 fatty acids than conventional dairy products do.
- Organic meat guarantees humane animal treatment!
If your holiday menu consists of meat products, organic is your best choice. Organic farmers and ranchers must accommodate the natural behavior of their livestock and meet health and wellness requirements, including year-round access to the outdoors, space for exercise, clean and dry bedding, clean water, shelter, and direct sunlight.
Conventional farmers give cows growth hormones briefly to boost milk output. These hormones can impair fertility in cows and lead to visibly abnormal milk and hoof disorders. Milk from hormone-treated cows has been linked to an increased risk of cancer in humans. Organic farmers never use hormones in their meat and dairy production.
- Eating organic is the best way to avoid persistent pesticides.
During the holiday season, food is a primary focus at office parties, family gatherings, and festivals. When it comes to fresh salads and winter fruits and vegetables, make sure to source organic as much as possible. Here’s why: Organic food must be grown without the use of persistent pesticides, which have been connected to numerous diseases. So that’s one of the best ways to reduce your exposure to these toxic chemicals.
Here at Only Organic, we concentrate on the many health risks that toxic persistent pesticides can pose, especially for children, who are particularly vulnerable. Studies show:
- Conventional crops have four times more pesticide residues than organic crops.
- Eating organic foods can decrease your exposure to dietary pesticides.
- It’s especially crucial for pregnant women and children to avoid pesticides in their food.
- Organic is better for your health!
Studies show that eating organic is not just good for the environment, and the animals raised organically, but it’s also good for your health. Our friends at The Organic Center have an excellent summary of recent nutrition research. Some highlights are:
- Eating organic fruits and vegetables could increase your antioxidant intake by 20 to 40 percent.
- Organic strawberries have more nutrients and antioxidants than their conventional counterparts do.
- Organic tomatoes are 50 percent higher in vitamin C content than conventional tomatoes do.
- Organic is better for the environment!
Holidays can be an excellent time to share new findings about how to be a better advocate for our beautiful planet. The University of Virginia and The Organic Center show that “organic farming can help reduce nitrogen pollution on a global scale. On the heels of the Organic Center’s groundbreaking study last year showing how organic soils help to diminish climate change, this latest study offers even more solid proof that organic food and farming create a cleaner global environment.” To learn more about these studies, visit The Organic Center.
This blog represents just five reasons to eat organic this holiday season but there are so many more reasons to choose organic products all year long. We also create an organic gift guide every year to make your shopping easy and sustainable. We also create an annual organic holiday recipe roundup for those looking for new culinary inspiration. To learn more about using organic to stay healthy this winter check this blog.
When you skip the chemicals and eat organic seasonal foods, you guarantee a healthy start to the winter. Please consider sharing this blog with a friend or family member or share it on social media to raise awareness about the benefits of organic.